Community and Culture
The standards in this section of the BASE Handbook outline the kind of community engagement we aspire to have at BASE with family, friends, and colleagues.
See the section on Student Conduct for outlined descriptions of misconduct and the Restorative approaches taken within the community.
BASE Core Values
- Understanding self
- Valuing diversity
- Creating dialogue
- Taking action
Interacting with School Staff
Interacting with Building Staff
Respect for Shared Space
Schools in the Building
- Bronx Academy for Software Engineering - Fourth and Fifth Floor
- Crotona International High School - Third Floor
- High School for Energy and Technology - First, Second, and Fourth Floor
BASE General Office (Room 517)
Good reasons to visit the office:
During the school day you must have written permission to be in the office. After school you may come into the office respectfully to ask a question.
- You are brought there for some reason by a staff member
- You have written permission from a staff member to go to the office for a pass to the clinic
- You have written permission to make a phone call
- You have written permission to speak with someone in the office
- A parent comes to pick you up
- You need a break from class
- Your friend is in there
- You want a drink of water and don’t want to use the fountain
- Keep your hands and feet to yourselves and respect the general space of other students.
- No “dunking” on other students. This is taken very seriously.
- Be active and attentive listeners, using both eyes and ears when a staff member of BASE or any school is talking.
- Enjoy your transition to your next class but keep it moving
- Students must be in class the first and final ten minutes of class. No bathroom passes will be given by teachers in that time.
- Before going out into the hallway during class time, students must ask permission to be excused, following each teacher’s protocol.
- Students must have a hallway pass when exiting during instruction time. One pass per student.
- No bathroom trip should take longer than three minutes.
Gym and Physical Education Class
- Students must have proper dress to participate in PE activities. The PE teacher will go over this at the beginning of the semester.
- Proper dress includes gym sneakers or tennis shoes: any student who comes to the gym without proper shoes will have to sit out of activities.
- Students will treat each other with respect and participate in all activities with good sportsmanship while in the gym or fitness center.
- Students will use equipment properly. We don't have a lot of equipment, so what we do have must be taken care of.
- Both for safety and security, if you choose to wear loose jewelry to school (earrings that dangle, etc.) you should leave it in your classroom or put it away in a bag before class so that nothing is lost or broken as they play. BE sure to leave your bag in a safe place. All of your personal belongings are your responsibility, make sure they are safe and taken care of.
- Before leaving the gym, students must ask permission to be excused.
- All posted signs and directions given by supervisors in the fitness room must be followed.
- No student may be in the fitness center without supervision of a BASE staff member
- Any student who is unable to use the equipment properly or safely will lose the privilege of using the space at all.
Cafeteria and Lunch Time
- Students may go down to lunch only when excused from class by their teacher.
- BASE students use stairway 4 to go down to the cafeteria; that’s the stairway at the end of the hall facing the general office, near rooms 501 and 401.
- During lunch time there will always be multiple BASE staff and School Safety Agents in the cafeteria. If there is any issue please find one of us right away and let us know.
- Lunch is a time to relax, eat and be with friends; do not mistake the cafeteria for the street or your home. Students, who are unable to maintain respect for each other, staff or the space will lose the privilege of eating lunch in the cafeteria.
- Students who throw food or garbage will stay down after everyone goes up and help clean up. If this happens multiple times students may lose the privilege of eating in the cafeteria for some time.
- If you need to leave the cafeteria during lunch time for some reason (to go to the bathroom or the library), you must get permission and a pass from school staff.
- Unfortunately this year there is no librarian in the building, and the library will not be open for use during lunch time.
- Room 510 is available for use by students who do not feel comfortable eating lunch in the cafeteria. The use of this space is by invitation only. Please see your guidance counselor if you would like to eat here.
Beyond BASE’s area - the Building in General
- To be on time for class, you must get to school by 7:45am. Getting stuck in line for scanning is not a legitimate excuse for being late.
- If you want to have a hot breakfast, plan to arrive no later than 7:30am.
- In order to make scanning go faster, take off your belt while you are waiting in line and put it (and any metal objects, including change) in your bag or backpack.
- If students are late they must report to BASE staff to have their electronics stored. Students who are late and submit late electronics, families will be notified.
- Students will not have access to phones from the time they walk through security scanning through to the end of the day. If you need to contact your son/daughter you may call the main office to have a message relayed to them.
- Any phone or electronics not administered by BASE staff found in student possession during designated learning times will be confiscated and can be picked up by TJ or administration.